The original call was to have Mr. Sparky evaluate comments from a home inspection that was done for the sale of my home. Your technician found that the report was not accurate however upon inspection he found that the bus connection was loose and a number of primary contacts had been scorched and recommended the whole pane be replaced. I observed the scorching personally and understood the significance as I am currently in a maintenance position. Since I needed a licensed electrician I couldn't replace the panel myself. The technician was on time and very professional producing a very clean install.
George Funk provided prompt service to restore comfort and safety. Repaired switch for ceiling fan an well as electric for my C-Pap. He also explained mechanics of additional work to be completed soon.
Danny is brilliant! You should give him a raise, it would be an awful experience for me if some other company hired him... and a terrible loss for you. I am 72 and had more than my share of construction. I know when I have an expert! Yes the cost was expensive, but it would be higher if I had to keep re doing bad work!
Response from Mister Sparky- Largo:
Bob: Thank you for taking time out of your busy day and giving Kevin a 5 star review. We look forward to working with you again in the future. Thanks from all of us at Mister Sparky!
Changed lights to LED
Today I have replaced a 150 amp indoor panel
Standard diagnostic of afci circuit
Trouble shooting receptacles not working. Found a tripped GFCI receptacle.
Installed new recessed cans and fans
Smoke detectors and led retrofit can light
Reinstalled two switches
Installed surge protection for while home and installed recessed cans
Panel rejuvenation, dryer outlet and cord, surge protection and misc electrical work
Bonding the gas meter to the main grounding.
Customer lost partial power in his home
Ran new switch leg and installed light in kitchen and installed all new breakers in the panel