Came out for a system not cooling properly. Customer stated that the unit wasn’t blowing out any cool air. I checked the system over and found a bad capacitor and a dirty condenser. Let customer know what I found and what needs to be done. Customer had me replace the capacitor and wash the unit. I changed out capacitor with a temporary capacitor. Didn’t have a 75/10, but will return Monday to replace it with correct one. Temporary capacitor will work fine for the time being. I washed the condenser coil thoroughly. Checked system amps, temperatures and pressures. Unit will need time to drop the temperature in home. Recommended customer give unit 24 hours to fully recuperate. Came back out to swap out temporary capacitor with correct size. After installing capacitor, I made sure system was operational before I left.