Our old furnace and air (28 years old) was removed and replaced in one day. Neat and well done job LBA! One less thing to worry about🙂
Great guy! Very knowledgeable
My water heater was replaced in a timely manner and LBA had options that didn't cost a premium
Chris was very profession and kept on schedule so I could make my appointment.
Excavated in front yard approximately 4â€™ in depth bursting new 4â€ line through clay tile approximately 40â€™, new connections made inside of garage with 3â€ c/o for access also connections made in ditch before driveway at city sewer. Back filled and tested for operations, cleaned up all job related debris and checked for operations. Customer is using financing and will need final signature for sales slip to complete transaction.
Filled out financing and went over job
Annual P3 heating visit. Cleaned furnace, checked components for reliability, checked temperature difference across furnace, performed combustion analysis, tested humidifier, inspected heat exchanger, tested for gas leaks. Furnace is operating safely and reliably at this time. One concern in the mechanical room is the insulation on the water lines connected to the water heater. The insulation is too close to the draft hood and vent pipe, the insulation is melted from being too close and is a hazard as combustible materials should not be within 4â€ of venting. I would recommend cutting the insulation or removing it. Liz mentioned there are in the process of moving and would like to cancel their P3 membership.
Ran camera in sewer from clean out in garage. Cast iron is rotted. There is no way to just repair inside the bad section goes through wall. Bursting is the best permanent option for this problem. The clay pipe will be gone all the way to the driveway
Upon arrival the baskets strainer in the gathering room in the back of the building was leaking from underneath when water was ran in the sink. I replaced the basket strainer with a new one and tested for leaks and everything tested good.
Performed heating tuneup on furnace, inspected air filter. Performed combustion check on heat exchanger. Checked temperature rise. Inspected all electrical components and electrical wires. Inspected heat exchanger is still in fair condition. Furnace is running within manufacturers specs at this time. Customer wanted to speak with spouse about renewing their membership, Will leave estimate for them.
Performed full heating maintenance on 2 Daikin RTUs. Checked mechanical and electrical components. Checked heat exchangers, cleaned flame rods and changed filters. Systems are both operating within factory specifications.
We found both RTUs tripped out to rollout, this most likely happened on windy day last week. After resting the manual switches both units started up and continued to run for at least an hour with no issues. The fresh air vents for the combustion chamber were covered in ice. This also could have caused an issue too. We did notice a lot of stress on the heat exchangers. If the issues rescuer we may need to address the the exhaust air flows.
Upon arrival hot stop to dishwasher had failed and would not turn off. Replaced stop. Checked for Leaks. Also, discussed and presented options for replacing Water heater cut off.
Ran camera in sewer. Found defect next to street. Line will back up again causing more damage. Should be repaired as soon as possible.
Arrived at home Monday, December 14. Customers main sewer blocked. Snaked main sewer line through clean out in garage. Went roughly 75 to 80 feet down the drain and hit blockage. Pulled up routes on end of cable head. Add customer run water in bathtub and flush toilet multiple times. As well as ran hot water through clothes washer line. Drain is now functioning properly and not backing up in floor drain. Scheduled to have Pat McLean come to customers house and camera drain line Wednesday, December 16 afternoon. Drain cleaning Will have one year warranty after Pat cameras line.
Arrived to customers home December 10. Customer is having new vanity sink put in upstairs hallway bathroom. Customer wanted angle stops installed on lavatory faucet waterlines. Upon further inspection found that old faucet cannot be connected with new stops were installed. Fortunately customer had new lavatory faucet on hand to be installed. Customer chose to have new lavatory faucet installed on old sink. Installed new quarter turn angle stops and removed old lavatory faucet. Installed new customer supplied lavatory faucet with new braided faucet supplies. informed customer that supplies were on new faucet tightly but lavatory faucet itself was no more than hand tightened on old sink so that it could be easily removed when new sink was installed. Turned water back on to home and tested new quarter turn stops as well as tested new customer supplied lavatory faucet to ensure no leaks and proper function. Customer informed technician that they are comfortable with removing faucet and
Spoke with Scott and he said front lobby unit was not working and said they were using space heaters. At Rtu found unit to be satisfied. Jumped the unit bypassing the thermostat at W1 and W2 and the unit ran according to manufacturerâ€™s specifications. Followed up with turning unit on at thermostat and verify operation. Again unit is functioning as it should. Scott told me I needed to to contact Michael hunter about programming of thermostat. Spoke with Michael on phone and he is updating the thermostat. Unit is for front lobby Daikin: 1705168649. Unit is functioning as it should at time of departure.
Performed humidifier diagnostic. Troubleshooted multiple settings to get the humidifier to operate properly. Spoke to customer about how this humidifier is designed to work in automatic mode. Also fixed the issue of consistently draining and filling. I also set up the upstairs humidifier to only operate when the heat is on.