I would like for the same technician to come back.... Thanks!!!!
Jesse did my annual furnace tuneup yesterday. He came early in the 4-hour appointment window, and was finished in well under an hour. In four years I've never had any trouble with the furnace or air conditioner they installed, and this year he even said my filters didn't need to be changed. The technicians always clean up afterward, and scheduling service is easy. Highly recommend!
LBA first saved my chilly butt three years ago when my furnace went out. In January, of course. 24 hours later, I had a new system that's saving me lots on utilities. Five months later they replaced my entire sewer line in 3 days with a lifetime guarantee against tree roots. Since then, they've only had to come out for scheduled maintenance and filter changes, but every time, the technician is on time, courteous, and professional. LBA may be a little pricier than some companies, but I think you get what you pay for.
Assisted in cpma
Performed the preventive maintenance for the heating season. I checked the amp draw of the blower motor and inducer motor, I made sure that the blower wheel and belt were in good working condition, I took readings of the capacitor to make sure that it was within the manufacturer's recommended tolerance, I looked over the heat exchanger to make sure there were no cracks or holes, I took a temperature split reading and I changed the filters.
Found bad discharge air control causing unit to operate in high fire mode and overheat cook line. The control will need to be replaced for proper burner operation. Informed manager of findings and he approved repairs on site. The parts are currently not in stock and my take 3-5 days to be received. Shut gas off to prevent overheating until part is received.
Found service disconnect in off position. Turned service disconnect on. The is heating properly now. The disconnect may have been left off during previous pan. No charge to customer
Found both furnaces on the ground level to be operational and heating as design. I did run the fan setting to auto on the thermostat. No issues found at this time.
Customer complaint is cook line is getting to hot. Found blower motor operating normally. Cycled burner on notice discharge air temperature is a constant 120*. Lower burner on setting to from 40*to 10*. Will need to talk to manufacture about discharge air temperature. This call my require a follow up visit.
Upon arrival found make up air unit burners on. Turned outdoor air thermostat from 55-40 so that burner does not continue to run. System is online and operating properly at this time. Customer is aware that it may need to be adjusted in the future.
Completed furnace tuneup also did the humidifier Tune up. Checked all wiring low-voltage and high-voltage. All wiring stable within cabinet space.Checked all drains and are draining properly. Changed out filters for humidifier and 5 inch filter. Ran a combustion analyzation test checked out great. Completely cleaned out our cabinet space and cleaned all safety switches and recalibrated. System is working to manufacture specification
Unit heater#1 has a hole in the flue that needs to be replaced in order to safely operate the unit. 4ft section of 5in round flue Unit heater#2 also has a hole in th flue that needs to be replaced in order to safely operate the unit. 3ft section of 5in flue. Unit heater#3 as blower motor 53mfd run capacitor that I below tolerance a recommended to be replaced.
The unit wasn't getting 24v power for heat but I was for cooling and for the fan and I noticed the thermostat wire as different gauge wire at the unit and at the thermostat. So I traced the wire to two junction boxes, one on the roof an one above he grid ceiling. I checked connection and found all wires connected in both junction boxes so I replaced the thermostat and now heating, cooing, and the fan are all operational from the thermostat.
Performed a full heating inspection. Checked all wires and safety switches. Performed a heat exchanger inspection. Heat exchanger passed inspection. Cleaned indoor unit. Unit is operating within factory specifications at this time.
We check the 2 RTU's. We were only able to do the full heating PM on RTU 1 because the 2nd RTU has a cracked heat exchanger. On the working RTU we checked the amp draw it the inducer motor and the blower motor. We also checked the capacitors and the blower wheel.
Completed PMA on he 3 unit heaters and created estimates for recommend repairs. I did have to shut down unit heaters #1 ad #2 the o the leaks in the flue that are not safe to operate. For further information please see checkout sheets or estimates.
I performed the cooling inspection for the RTU'S. I found the systems to be operating within factory specifications. I replaced a worn blower belt for RTU #1.
Completed annual heating tune up, today I found a fault in your voltage enhancement system, customer decided to go with bandaid repair at this time, everything else tested as it should at this time, thanks for having me out today, Eli